Thursday, January 3, 2013

Makeup: How I spend my money

I get asked a lot of questions about make up and beauty stuff so I thought that I would do a blog post with some of my favorite things and why I love them so much. Today I have chosen Foundation!  I imagine not many of you will super interested in this post but I resolved to write more authentically and I am a bit obsessive over make up so this is as authentic as it gets!

Foundation:

I have large pores and super oily skin. I like full coverage foundation but when I am having a good skin day, I like a little less coverage. Here is my breakdown.

Full Coverage (High End)
-MAC Studio Fix Fluid
Maybe it was because when I went to get matched my counter girl was awesome or maybe it was because I didn't have to buy my first MAC foundation (it was a gift) that made me love this foundation. I am a NW20 in MAC and the color is SPOT ON. How is a Mexican with freckles so white you ask? That, I am afraid, I have no answer for but this foundation applies wonderfully for me. I use a duo fiber stippling brush and with or without face primer, it always looks great. The coverage is perfect, the staying power is fantastic and it takes a LONG time for it to breakdown on oily skin. If you do not require full coverage or have oily skin, this foundation will feel heavy on you. I have also found that it lasts a long time. Maybe because the coverage is so good that you don't have to use as much, or maybe because I experiment with so many products it seemed to last a long time, whatever the case, I got my best friend's money out that bottle.

Full Coverage (Drugstore)
-Revlon Colorstay
It will be hard to find an overall better drugstore brand than Revlon. Some of their products are pricier than Wet N Wild or Rimmel but you absolutely get what you pay for! This is stuff on your face and eyes, why not get the best you can afford? Anyway, Revlon Colorstay is fantastic. The shades are plentiful and I recommend if you get matched MAC taking your bottle. Or using a foundation matrix to see what shade is your best match. I do think that the foundation appears lighter in the bottle. My match is Sand Beige and when I saw it without swatching or trying it out, I was so afraid it was too light. Once I applied it, it was a good match. The color is not as true as the MAC but a maybe a half step lighter. The next shade up would have been way too dark. My only real complaint about this foundation is that it absolutely needs a primer on oily skin or it will break down. There is nothing worse than going to Safeway and you look like your face is sliding off.

Light-Medium Coverage

High End- Chanel Aqua Vita Lumiere
 .-Surely, with the word Aqua in the title, you will know that this foundation is liquid-ey. Shake it up really well . I dot mine on my face and then buff it on. The most interesting thing about this foundation to me is the colors. Do not be surprised if you go to the counter to get matched and there are several potential colors. I took my best gay with me to get matched and he ended up choosing the shade that looked best on me. He chose one the beige rose options. In my opinion, if you can be matched to a beige rose option in Chanel, DO IT. The coverage is not great, but you will always look flushed and luminous. It photographed beautifully. I know some people prefer Estee Lauder to this Chanel foundation and I think if you just want a standard color, Lauder is the way to go. If you want something that looks fabulous and smells rich and decadent. Quit buying crap makeup for one month and get the Chanel. The Chanel counter is good about sampling. A drag queen I know went through a rigorous hiring process to become a Chanel MUA. However, when I casually asked him, "I am a NW20 in MAC, what is my Chanel shade?" He immediately sent me all my options. I can assume that their training is top notch because he was pretty aware very early on.

Drugstore- N/A

I am experimenting with one now, by Revlon. It is also part of the Colorstay family, It is the whipped one in the jar. It looks like it would be thick and cakey. It actually seems light in texture. So far, what I love about it, is that texture is light and it has buildable coverage. when I first put it on, I WAS PISSED. I thought, this looks horrible, it hasn't covered a freaking thing. In all fairness, it felt like my face had NOTHING on it, it was so light. To apply this one, I used a flat top DENSE kabuki brush. It went on nicely, to build up the coverage, I spritzed the brush with MAC's Fix + Spray. This was the key! The coverage and overall look improved. I got several compliments about how good my skin looked but what impressed me the most was its staying power. 14 hours. That is crazy!

Notes of Importance:


  • Unless I am going to Rite-Aid to get tampons. I always use a primer.
  • I always set with Forever DiorSkin powder. It is the only powder I will ever use. 
  • I don't believe in makeup "no buys". Everyone has something they love to collect, if yours is makeup, go for it. If it is Hummel figurines, get help.
  • Sometimes, there isn't a cheaper alternative. 
  • You know your face better than anyone, trust your instincts! 


The Happiness Project
January 3, 2013

I am happy because I have not entered into some menstrual induced rage today.


1 comment: