Wednesday, November 20, 2013

My Legacy In Three Words

I joined a blogging circle and as my first duty, I chose this week's topic.


I remember that years ago, I wanted to do a documentary about this.

Epitaphs used to be 3 words on your tombstone. That was all that someone would see in passing. Could you tell your story in three words? Are three words enough to determine a legacy?And what three words?

I decided to make that this week's topic. I want to determine my legacy. Here are my 3 words and why. 

Stay tuned, at the end of this, there will be a place for to see everyone else's legacy!!

Raconteur: 

I have always been a lover of words, I read at a very early age and loved the sound and look of language. I loved the rhythm of the way my Tejano family spoke Spanglish. I loved the musty smell of an old dictionary that had been my dad's. I was enchanted with the way the fit together. I would learn a word and use it over and over in a sentence until I knew the meaning and it sounded natural.

As I got older I realized that being a lover of words, I had developed a knack for relaying information. My vocabulary was large and lent itself to add drama and flair. I became the person that always told the anecdotal history of  things and then it evolved into public speaking and educating. 

Dissident:

if you ask my mom, she will tell you  that I have spent my entire life defying authority. That I have always chosen the hardest road possible for myself. That I do not rest until there are answers. I  am tireless in my quest for justice and fairness. I do not now, or ever, accept status quo. I rarely tire of questioning those in charge. And when I am in charge, I WANT people to question to me. I want to never be too powerful for the greater good of the cause. I am defiant. I am curious. I have always been someone that people respect but very few like. I am ok with that. Because the fight never ends.


I have struggled with this last one so much.  My own topic and I could not think of a third one. I kept starting to think I had found it and then as I would write about it, backspace became my friend. I wanted something that evoked a concept that was not as harsh as the other two. I wanted people to know that I was only 2/3 harsh. Then it hit me.

Explorer:

This is probably the most vulnerable I can possibly be about this topic. I just wanted a word that would hopefully reminded people that I tried. Everything. I searched the world for love, meaning, beauty, truth and myself.

Thank you for joining me on this journey. I hope that these change. I hope at 38 my legacy has yet to be deternined.




6 comments:

  1. Your writing is very honest. I like that. Thank you for hosting this week,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for a great, thought-provoking question. I wasn't sure I could jump in this week, but I'm glad I was able to. Appreciate you, and I love what you shared. The vulnerability of the explorer is beautiful! And "backspace became my best friend," oh my! I love it. I live there all the time. Best wishes to you, and thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and finding time to participate!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for hosting Amy. I'll have to fall into the better late than never category for linking up today :(

    ReplyDelete