Thursday, September 2, 2010

I am Lola The Lotus

I found my way to Buddhism 7 years ago, specifically Nichiren Buddhism as practiced by the SGI-USA. I have struggled off and on with my faith. I have contemplated leaving a hundred times. When I started practicing and learning the tenets of Buddhism, I was excited and threw myself in with gusto...I did everything that was asked of me.

SGI-USA is an organization. It has leaders and positions that help promote dialogue and a deeper understanding of Buddhist theory. Those with a distaste for organized religion find a lot of the grievances they have with Judeo-Christain faiths, carry over when learning about SGI-USA. And I get that, I truly do.

One thing I have found in my own practice and the people around me is a lack of understanding about the strictness of Buddhism. Our sect will not make you give up all your possessions, it will not ask you to wear that orange thingy or have you rely on clergy to determine your worthiness. But Buddhism does require you to take responsibility for the karma you create. It requires that you hold compassion, gratitude, humility and service to your fellow man in the highest regard. It requires that you show actual proof every day that Buddhism works and it requires you to practice as if your life depends on it. And let's face it, it does.I didn't join Buddhism so I could remain unhappy. I joined because there was something missing in my life and it worked for me to fill the hole this way.

I find myself as I become healthier mentally and physically that a natural order of progression is to make strides spiritually. I intend to do that. And I find myself being strict with the people in my life much the way Buddhism is strict with me. I don't think that asking people to be the best version of themselves is a bad thing...or working towards that is a bad thing...I think accepting complacency from people I love is unacceptable and because Buddhism has been trying to teach me for 7 years that I am worth it, it is my turn to teach others that they are too

2 comments:

  1. i don't call myself a Buddhist. i do sometimes call myself a Unitarian Universalist, because UUism contains the only set of beliefs that i can unconditionally commit myself to. i'm a "roll your own religion" kind of girl, you know? i take what inspires me from wherever i find it. i read a lot of Buddhist teachings. i have a not-quite-regular-enough ;) meditation practice as well as a daily life practice that incorporate a lot of those teachings. Currently i'm doing a lot of work with the Tibetan Buddhist practices as taught by Pema Chödrön.

    ReplyDelete